This hour the Florida lobster season party continues and closes with a toast to Captain Butch and lobster omelets! Looking for HOUR1?
This week Greg The Divemaster previews Shark Week and Lobster season. Plus a cool new solution for seeing clearly underwater. Looking for HOUR2?
This hour the crew talk about the best place to catch scallops or where to eat them. Plus the final preparations for Shark Week and Bugfest By the Sea. Looking for HOUR1?
Catch up to 12 lobsters per day at BugFest!
Schyler Cox covered BugFest for Scuba Diver Magazine.
The Town of Lauderdale-By-The-Sea celebrates Florida's lobster mini-season with BugFest, our annual bug hunting dive festival!
Sponsored by Reef Safe Sun, this year's event is July 24-29, 2018and features a concert on Saturday, July 28 that benefits Diveheart , a non-profit that teaches adults and children with disabilities how to scuba dive.
Unlike the Florida Keys, there's lots to do in Lauderdale-By-The-Sea besides hunting lobsters during mini-season. We have great beachfront hotels at low summer rates, fun public plazas with kids games, quaint shops and pubs — all just a short stroll from your town hotel.
Mini-season divers can also bag up to 12 bug per day outside Monroe County! You can confirm that by checking the latest Florida Fish & Wildlife lobster mini-season regulations.
During BugFest we are giving away $20,000 in cash, dive gear prizes, hotel stays and trips, which includes the great trips you could win by supporting the great work Diveheart does by buying a raffle ticket. Divers who enter the Great Florida Bug Hunt receive a raffle ticket for every lobster they catch! You may not bag the biggest bug, but you could still go home with a super prize.
Online registration for the Great Florida Bug Hunt is open. Please note: Even though you must check the PayPal option to get to the payment page, you can still pay by credit card. The contest fee is $20. Divers receive a free BugFest Goody Bag and BugFest T-shirt.
This year's BugFest event includes:
– The Great Florida Bug Hunt (July 25 & 26). You can win a regulator, dive tank or other great prizes, even if you don't catch any bugs!
– A free lobster hunting seminar at 6PM on Tuesday, July 24 at Plunge Beach Hotel. The 1-hour seminar is taught by author and lobster hunting expert Jim “Chiefy” Mathie, a retired Deerfield Beach firefighter. Chiefy will be giving away five of his books on lobster hunting!
– A Mini-Season Kickoff Party at Plunge's beachside pool and bar at 7PM on Tuesday, July 24. Meet the ScubaRadio mermaids and enjoy a free Miami Pale Ale beer, courtesy of Gold Coast Scuba, while listening to trop rock music provided by the Scuba Cowboy!
– BugFest Mini-Season Awards Party and Lobster Chef Contest starting at 6PM on Thursday, July 26th. The event will feature the Scuba Cowboy and some amazing lobster balloon creations. The chef competition starts at 6PM. We start giving out the dive awards at 7:30PM.
– A concert to benefit Diveheart starting at 6:30PM on Saturday, July 28 in Anglin's Square.
– If you have questions about Florida's lobster mini-season or BugFest, call Steve at 954-640-4209 or e-mail him at email@example.com.
BugFest Schedule (959 KB)
This week Greg The Divemaster reflects on the loss of a dive buddy. Plus Roz from the UK reports on the success of the Thailand Cave diving rescue mission. Looking for HOUR2?
This hour Neal Watson Jr joins the crew to talk about his involvement in Shark Week. Plus a look ahead to Bugfest By The Sea! Looking for HOUR1?